Saturday, October 6, 2012
EGGS BENEDICT- heaven!!!!!!!
Everyone should try this at least once in their lifetime, no jokes, AMAZING!!!!!!!!, like i went to heaven and back, this is probably one thing i learnt to make that i have repeated 3 times the past month, its delicious for breakfast, or brunch, or dinner, no one is judging, i have eaten it at all times.
Its basically, poached eggs on half of an English muffin, usually you can put bacon/ smoked salmon beneath the eggs, i used salmon, that salty, smoky taste, yum yum, topped with freshly made hollandaise sauce, smooth, creamy like silk in your mouth.
Ingredients(makes 2, serves 1)
1 English muffin
2 poached eggs
4 slices of smoked salmon/ bacon
2 tbsp of vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper/ smoked paprika/shaved truffles for topping
Hollandaise sauce ingredients
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup of melted butter
2 tsp of lemon juice
Pinch of salt
To make the hollandaise sauce, you would need a double broiler, most home cooks dont have that, and well i didnt, a pot and a metal bowl would do just fine.
1) Fill a pot with water halfway and leave to simmer on the stove on medium heat.
2) In the metal bowl, put the two yolks and start whisking using a hand whisk,
3) Put the metal bowl over the simmering water, still whisking, dont leave it in the water for long, you just want to warm up the base of the bowl and not cook the yolks,
4) when you think the bowl is getting too hot, take it off, add half the butter, and continue whisking away from the heat, if the bowl cools down, put it back on the simmering water, add remaining butter, repeat this process for 4-5 minutes.
5) keep whisking until it forms a light consistency and coats the wires of the whisk lightly.
6) add in lemon juice and a pinch of salt and whisk.
7) leave in a warm place, preferably by the stove until needed
8) the sauce is best used within the hour that its made.
HOW TO POACH AN EGG!
Most people get this wrong a lot, and it really is the easiest thing, poaching is cooking in hot liquid for a short time, poached eggs are one of the healthiest way you can eat eggs
First tip, use room temperature eggs.
In a frying pan, ( use a frying pan because its shallow and wide), fill 3/4 with water, and leave to boil on a stove, once the water starts to simmer, add in 2 tbsp of vinegar.The vinegar will help the eggs stay together when you break them into the water
Crack eggs in the sides/corners of the pan,
Leave for 4 minutes and use a slotted spoon to scoop it out unto a paper towel to dry.
TIP: i love my yolks runny, and really poached eggs should have light runny yolks, if you do not like that, leave the eggs for about 7 minutes that should firm the yolks up a little more.
To assemble the EGGS BENEDICT
On one half of the english muffin, lay a slice of bacon/smoked salmon, then the poached egg, and another slice of salmon/bacon, then top with a generous laddle full of hollandaise sauce and then freshly group pepper/ smoked paprika/ shaved truffles.
i have used all three, amazing amazing.
TIP: i have also had Eggs benedict with strips of steak in it, replace the bottom salmon with steak strips.